DOT Logo
Skip Main Navigation Skip Main and Left Navigation   FMCSA | DOT | Sitemap | Contact | Language:  
Home Are You Moving? Search Movers & Complaint History State/Local Resources Regulations & Enforcement About Us
  Skip Main and Left Navigation  Home > Are You Moving? > Questions About How to Protect Yourself from Fraud
Plan a Successful Move
Protect Yourself from Moving Fraud
Ready to Move?
Moving Checklist
Valuation & Insurance
Your Rights & Responsibilities
Glossary of Terms
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
File a Complaint
Contacts in Your State

Questions About How to Protect Yourself from Fraud

Q. How do I learn more about choosing a mover?
A. Start at the Choose a Reputable Mover section of this Web site for information and resources on choosing a mover.

Q. What if I think a rogue mover has taken advantage of me?
A. Visit, or call 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238) to file a complaint; your report could become part of a Federal investigation against the company. But remember—you should file a complaint directly with the mover before doing so with FMCSA.

Q. What is the difference between an intrastate move and an interstate move?
A. An intrastate move is one in which goods are transported from one point to another within the same State; (i.e., no State borders are crossed). An interstate move is one in which goods are transported from one State to another. FMCSA has jurisdiction over interstate moves; State and local authorities have jurisdiction over intrastate moves. Learn more in the section of this Web site entitled "What is an Interstate Move?"

Q. How do I insure my property when I hire a mover?
A. There are two options: valuation coverage and insurance. When you sign your bill of lading, the mover automatically provides valuation coverage, which assumes liability for no more than 60 cents per pound per item for interstate moves. Some movers may also offer to sell or procure for you separate liability insurance from a third party insurance company. If you purchase this insurance from or through your mover, the mover is required to issue a policy or written record of the purchase.

Q. In addition to FMCSA, are there other authorities I should contact to report a mover?
A. Yes. State attorneys general and consumer affairs agencies are responsible for pursuing suspected moving fraud.

Go To Top of Page


Connect with us

image of a phone facebook logo